All Gonstead adjustments are performed by the hands only. No adjusting equipment or machines are used. Dr. Caruthers specifically places his hand on a precise portion of the vertebrae. He moves the vertebrae into its normal position with a quick, gentle force that he has been using for years. The Gonstead technique is much different than a traditional manipulation where multiple areas of the spine are manipulated in different directions. Dr. Caruthers takes pride in being able to find and adjusting the areas of pain without harming any healthy areas in the process.
Chiropractor in La Mesa, CA • Insurance Accepted
La Mesa California Chiropractor: Dr. Timothy Caruthers
TLC Functional Wellness • Free Consultations
Chiropractor in La Mesa, CA: If you’re looking for the latest treatments paired with a clean and friendly facility, look no further! Utilizing cutting-edge technology, equipment and treatment therapies to aid spinal correction and chiropractic adjustments, Dr. Timothy Caruthers will put patients at ease and on the road to recovery. Chiropractic adjustments are a safe, natural and effective procedure to help keep the body in prime condition.
Why you should go to a chiropractor
Chiropractic care helps restore the body’s natural structure to its optimal state before lifestyle, injury or other circumstances misaligned it. The spine is like the major highway of all your nervous systems and any blockades can be detrimental to your health. Having a misaligned spine can not only cause discomfort or pain but can cause problems with other areas of your body as well. These problems occur when there are interruptions in the normal communication of information between the brain and the body. Chiropractic care can correct that.
The importance of spinal & posture screening at TLC Functional Wellness
Back pain, neck pain and other physical ailments often originate in the spine. In order to receive a comprehensive treatment plan, an exact cause of the pain must be determined. When you have a spinal and posture screening done, it serves as the initial step to formulating a specific solution to the problem you are experiencing. These screenings can reveal important information regarding a person’s overall heath and provide a base for an effective course of action.
Dr. Caruthers is considered to be the top Gonstead Technique chiropractor in La Mesa and the surrounding areas
Dr. Timothy Caruthers started chiropractic at the prestigious Palmer University in 1981. At the urging of one of his San Diego State professors, Dr. Caruthers started attending the Gonstead Club upon starting school. Fortunately for him, Dr. John Cox was teaching the Gonstead Club at the time. He told Dr. Caruthers that if you really wanted to learn the Gonstead technique then he should go to the Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin and learn from his father, Dr. Alex Cox. Dr. Alex Cox practiced with Dr. Clarence Gonstead for approximately 20 years and bought the Gonstead Clinic and the seminar rights prior to Dr. Gonstead’s passing in 1978. Dr. Alex and Dr. John Cox, father and son, continue to teach the Gonstead seminars to this day. Dr. Caruthers persevered through the learning curve of the Gonstead technique. Although the technique is taught as the foundation of all techniques at chiropractic universities, very few doctors specialize in Gonstead due to its complexity.
Dr. Caruthers graduated from Palmer University and has been in active practice since 1984. He has continued his quest for excellence in the Gonstead work throughout his career. He was a board member for the Gonstead Clinical Studies Society for several years. He earned the Gonstead Diplomate designation which very few doctors achieve. His continual belief that learning never stops is attributed to almost 70 Gonstead seminars attended. He was awarded the ‘Best of the Best’ Gonstead Commitment Award and is considered the top Gonstead Practitioner in Southern California.
The Gonstead Technique utilizes the most complete method of bio mechanical analysis available for use by today’s doctor of chiropractic. It was founded by Dr. Clarence S. Gonstead in 1923. Gonstead practitioners like Dr. Caruthers are able to isolate individual inflamed nerve roots, which are the main cause to many health disorders. Gonstead chiropractors are able to relieve these inflammations by using their hands only which allows the body to heal itself. As a Gonstead chiropractor, Dr. Caruthers goes beyond what the majority of chiropractors consider a spinal assessment. He conducts a detailed health history of each patient followed by a thorough spinal/neurological examination. This exam includes the following:
- Instrumentation: A Temposcope is an instrument that Dr. Caruthers runs along the spine from the top of the neck to the bottom of the spine. With this procedure, he is checking for any heat that would be generated from inflamed joints, nerves, soft tissue or discs surrounding the vertabra.
- Motion Palpatation: Dr. Caruthers uses his hands to feel the different joins along the spine and extremities in order to determine if they are moving with their normal limits. Dr. Caruthers detects ant signs of trouble by finding joins with either a lack of motion or joints that move too much.
- Static Palpatation: Dr. Caruthers feels the spine’s joints for any swelling, muscle weakness, muscle spasm and other pain.
- Visualization: Dr. Caruthers will observe you walk, bend, move and twist in different directions to determine if your body mechanics are within normal limits.
- Orthopedic/Neurologic Tests: Dr. Caruthers uses specific tests to determine if nerves and joints are working as they should be.
- X-Ray Analysis: AP and lateral full spine standing x-rays are taken of every patient excluding young children and pregnant women unless unusual circumstances occur. This will determine the health of one’s spine. The standing position provides a great view of the patient’s posture in its natural state. It also gives Dr. Caruthers a detailed look at a person’s spine, showing misaligned vertebra and pelvic bones, as well as a look at the discs. Dr. Caruthers uses the x-rays to determine which angle and direction each individual subluxation will need in order to be corrected.
Dr. Caruthers uses specific equipment to precisely adjust vertebra
The following types of equipment adjust patients in an efficient, pain-free way:
- Cervical Chair: constructed to adjust the cervical and upper dorsal spine (the neck)
- Hylo Table: made to adjust the cervical, dorsal, lumbar spines and the pelvis
- Pelvic Bench: designed to adjust the lumbar spine and pelvis (lower back)
- Knee-Chest Table: made to adjust the dorsal and lumbar spine (low, middle and upper back)
Chiropractic care is used most often to treat neuromusculoskeletal complaints including back pain, neck pain, headaches and pain in the joints of the arms or legs. Some of the common conditions that are treated include:
- Auto Injuries
- Work Injuries
- Sports Injuries
- Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Chronic Muscle, Nerve & Joint Pain
- Headaches & Migraines
- Sciatica & Extremity Pain
- Disc Disorders
- Foot Pain
- Shoulder Pain
Chiropractic adjustments at TLC Functional Wellness in La Mesa, CA
Dr. Timothy Caruthers has been providing quality chiropractic and wellness care to his patients since 1984. We are located in the heart of La Mesa at 5360 Jackson Dr # 116, La Mesa, CA 91942. Our office has convenient early morning, day and evening appointments available.
When you are ready to start your path to optimal health and wellness, call to request your free consultation at: (619) 464-2225 or contact us to request an appointment online. We gladly accept most insurance!